Monday, October 15, 2007

Drew Carey can Forge Ahead for The Price is Right

I happened to catch the last half hour of The Price is Right today, and Drew Carey was hosting. Since I saw an article on the front of Yahoo! News about it, I'm going to assume it was his debut show. I thought he was a little nervous and definitely different than Bob Barker, but I also think it is exactly what the show needs to last another few decades. The problem with a game show that has had a host for over 20 years is that the host becomes their own entity. There will never be another Bob Barker, just as there will never be another Johnny Carson, and for that reason it is imperative that they find a fresh new face to reinvent the show. Leno and Letterman are able to keep late night TV so fresh because they took Carson's format and really made it their own, and I think Carey is one of the few performers who is capable of taking a long standing franchise and making it his own. Just look at how popular the American Version of Whose Line was with him as the host. I'm confident he has the brains to take The Price is Right far into the future. This is not going to turn into Al Borland hosting Family Feud. What the hell is that guy's real name anyways?

EDIT: I actually realized there is probably only one other person who would do a fantastic job on The Price is Right, and that is Peter Sagal from the NPR radio show "Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me." If you've never heard the show before, go here and listen if you trust me. This is the only show on any media form besides the Simpsons that I obsessively tune in to, so I highly recommend it. http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=35 click on "Listen to the whole show"

No comments: